Friday, January 24, 2014

Queen Bee - Take three

I have started working on my Or Nué Queen Bee - well actually I have started it three times. So much for thinking I wasn't going to do any samples first!
 As usual, I started all excited and energetic. As soon as I moved away from it a little later, I realised the colours I had used for the honeycomb pattern was too dark. It would most certainly overpower the bee. Rather than wasting time trying to unpick, I just started again - this time swapping the two shades of silk...
 ... and what a difference it made. It is tricky to photograph metallic threads and silk well because of all the reflections, but I hope you can see what I mean. Happy with the colours, I was really cross with myself for not having paid proper attention to pattern - the honeycomb is very crooked. Should I worry about it? Seen from a distance it really didn't look too bad at all...
If it was just for myself, I probably would not have worried about it (then again, I probably would). But the thing is, this piece will be used for teaching and I will be using really, really, really close-up photos, so no place for 'sloppy' stitching.

This time I did rip it out. Taking my time with the first two rows - careful stitching, straight rows, even stitches and tight turns. Those turns really do require a bit of practise... If you don't get the right and tight enough the edges start curving, getting you in to all sorts of trouble.
So far so good - by the end of today it was starting to take shape. I am rather excited to start adding the colours for the bee itself - seven needles in work by now and still a couple more to come.
Will it happen this weekend? Probably not - the grapes are turning and we have to net the vineyard before the birds spot them and get too excited. I just HAD to show you how it was going.

Have a lovely weekend,
Anna x

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful design! I have tried basic Goldwork, but Or nue still terrifies me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating seeing this develop! Such beautiful work, thank you for sharing! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! I agree that swapping the two shades of thread looks better.

    I wondered how you would handle the bee -- I was thinking stumpwork on top of the gold. I don't love stumpwork, so I am quite excited to learn the real plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is already looking really interesting! Good luck with keeping the birds away from the grapes!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are really special to me! - Thank you so much for taking the time and please bear with the word verification. Anna